Saturday 21 July 2018

Munich, Germany - July 21


20 degrees, overcast, some rain

good start
Our travel day continued relatively uneventfully. We arrived in Munich at long last at about 8:00 local time, noon Calgary time. Our business class seats were pretty good and we both got a few hours of sleep. I don’t tend to sleep much even with the ‘lie flat’ seats, so the fact that I slept at all was a bonus.  My Fitbit says I got ab
willkommen!
out 4 hours. I had pretty low expectations of Condor Air considering that they are described as a ‘low-cost’ carrier, but my expectations were exceeded.


The flight from Frankfurt to Munich was 35 minutes – wow…that’s my kind of flight – and they even did a drink service. The plane wasn’t even half full – I have no idea when I was on a plane that wasn’t bursting. There is quite a distance from the airport to the centre of Munich, so instead of a 100.00 plus taxi ride, we opted for a 30.00 (total for both of us) train ride – very simple. Chris investigated transportation before we left home, so that made it particularly simple - for me. After the train it was a couple blocks’ walk to the hotel. Just after we got to our room on the 6th floor the skies opened, and it poured. We unpacked, waited for the rain to stop and headed out. This hotel has an included mini bar (2 beers, a coke, a sparkling and still water) which we indulged in as we unpack – and of course gummy bears which were apparently invented in this part of Germany.
Once we were unpacked and cleaned up a bit we realized we
needed some food. By this time it was about 10:00, so we found one of the only places still open. Our first meal in Germany was Italian! Pizza, bruschetta and a bottle of wine hit the spot.This place was quite hopping – probably because it was the only game in town at this point. The one odd bit was finding the ‘facilities’.
Of course I didn’t ask as I’m a bit of a baby in foreign countries, but I usually have no problem finding a sign or watching people. This time…NEIN. After hunting high and low, I found the toilets after an unmarked elevator ride to the basement.

We are staying at the Mercure Munchen Altstadt. The hotel is pretty basic, but cozy and the location can’t be beat.

No comments: