Monday 27 July 2009

Olympus, Greece July 27

Today is no cooler than yesterday – when we get on the bus for our tour this morning the bus registers 29 degrees. In this heat there is no worry about drinking too much water because who knows where the next toilet stop will be - all your water comes out through your pores. The drive to Olympia where the Olympic Games originated is about 30 minutes. This area is much greener than Santorini or Ephesus. There is a whole lot more excavated here than in Ephesus. The information the guide gives is mostly about Greek gods and goddesses which is pretty cool. Although it is over 30 degrees it is not too bad as there is plenty of shade and a breeze. I’m not saying I’m not drenched – I am, but it is a lot more bearable than the last couple of days.

We decide on lunch again in town where we have calamari and a Greek salad while watching the sea. After lunch we find a café with internet where I have a baklava. WOW this thing is HUGE at least the size of my palm. It comes warm which is different than I’ve had at home, but very delicious.

I decided to take a risk on the ship’s made oatmeal. While I’m not a giant fan of oatmeal (especially not made by me when I can make it very think so as to eat with a fork) I don’t really know how others make it. I’m pretty certain I know why I don’t eat oatmeal outside of my own kitchen! Blech! I’m sure it was good as far as oatmeal goes, but it was WAY too runny. Not a surprise by any stretch, but not for me.

No comments: