Sunday 22 May 2011

Jerusalem and Bethlehem, Israel - May 19

Christ's birthplace
Today is a big day…Jerusalem and Bethlehem was one trip I have been looking forward to since we started looking into this trip.  HOWEVER…some time in the middle of the night my body decided to rebel and I spent some time hugging the toilet – and no, no booze was involved.  Who knows what it was…Chris was perfectly fine, but I surely was not.  Without going into too many details I think it was something I ate.  By the time morning came I wasn’t exactly feeling in tip-top shape, but I WAS NOT MISSING Jerusalem and Bethlehem.  There were a couple of tenuous points (one just outside of the manger where Chris had to lead me to a garbage can), but I am proud to say I did not leave my mark on the birthplace of Christ.
<> <>
Holy Sepulcher Church
We had a drive of about 90 minutes from Ashdod to Jerusalem.  I can’t say I took in much of the scenery along the way, but it was interesting to hear the guide describe at certain points where various Biblical events took place.   

We make a brief stop at the Mount of Olives many of Jerusalem’s significant sites can be seen.  Our guide is wonderful and is able to point out many of these sites that we couldn’t have recognized on our own.  Many of the sites we visit today are also visited by many, many Israeli soldiers.  Apparently today is a sort of ‘graduation’ day for them.  We also make a photo stop at a viewing place for the Dome of the Rock.  We aren’t at the Dome of the Rock, but a viewing spot across the valley where the Garden of Gethsemane is. 

The Garden of Gethsemane is our next stop.  It is interesting how pictures and movies have formed a picture of these sites in my mind compared to reality.  For example…I have never pictured the Garden of Gethsemane with flowers.   
Gethsemane rock
Then we walked through Jerusalem’s Old City.  The Old City is walled and is home to the Via Dolorosa, which is believed to be the route Jesus took as he carried the cross.  We didn’t stop at all of the Stations of the Cross, many of which don’t really exist (Chris recalls from his last trip here) and are just spots along the side a random shop in the old city.  This was probably the most powerful part of the visit for me.  I always find the Stations of the Cross powerful.  In the old city is also the Church of the Holy Sepulcher built on Golgotha hill which is where Jesus was crucified buried and resurrected.  There is a spot of rock where is it believed the cross stood.  Here we lined up to put our hand on the spot.  The trouble is that there are so many people it isn’t at all contemplative.  Basically we shuffle along until we get to the spot, touch it and shuffle on.  Next time I visit I’d like it to be during the off season.
<> <>
Garden of Gethsemane
We also visited the Western or Wailing Wall where I wrote my prayer and slipped it into a crack in the wall.  Although this spot is crowded (especially with the soldiers I mentioned) there is some time and space to be quite for a while.  

While that is more religious sites than we typically see in one day there are still more.  We leave Jerusalem and our Israeli guide.  Because Bethlehem is in the Palestinian territory where no Israelis are permitted our guide gets off the bus and a Palestinian guide gets on – they switch again when we leave Bethlehem.  Our visit here is based entirely on a visit to Manger Square and the Church of the Nativity. This church is built over a grotto that is believed to be the location of Jesus' birth and except for incredibly beautiful lighting is quite unadorned.  Here again is a big crowd that shuffles and shuffles to the spot of the manger – where Jesus was born.  There is a silver star on the floor that most people touch as a blessing.  
Dome of the Rock
Jerusalem is an incredible place with more history than I could even get a handle on.  It is also holds the history and stories of much that is meaningful to me.  Of all the places we have visited on this journey it is one that I hope to without doubt visit again.

No comments: