Saturday 11 August 2018

Rome, Italy to Frankfurt, Germany – August 11


Hottish…again, doesn’t really matter when it’s a travel day, 22 when we arrived in Frankfurt…not blazing heat…glorious

So…it’s a travel day. I’m not really sure if I would think I’m ready to leave the ship and move on if I didn’t actually have to leave. Generally, I think I’m ready to leave when I have to…I get my head around being someplace for as long as the trip is and that is that. 

Because our flight to Frankfurt wasn’t until 3:00 we didn’t have to get up very early – however, not very early was 6:30 as we had to
looks like the Bow behind me
get out of the room by 8. We stayed on the boat until 10, but that was basically to kill time so we didn’t have to kill it at the airport. We saw the boat we spent the longest on when we were in Asia a few years back in port with us - nostalgia!

The drive from the port at Civitavecchia to the Rome airport was about 40 minutes. We pre-booked a car to pick us up. Pre-booking a nice car is about as much as a cab would be and apparently getting a cab would be tough.

2 hours on the plane, a couple more episodes of Mad Men and a less than desirable turkey meatloaf sandwich (just weird) later and we were in Frankfurt. The subway to the central station in Frankfurt was about 15 minutes and then 5 minutes walking and we were at the hotel. The hotel welcomed us with a glass of champagne, so that was a great start!

We are experiencing over and over that hotels we visit are much more form over function – Roomers Frankfurt is no different. I love a cool looking place and want things to look chic, but...come on! The biggest issue I have is that there is no where to put your stuff - no drawers…I NEED a drawer. Especially in my bed side table…I guess I should be lucky to have a bedside table at all…I remember a hotel without one of those all together! Anyway…this place is cool looking and the location is great, so… Oh, yeah…we specifically picked this hotel because it has AC…I suppose it technically does, but it’s not exactly cold. If this was the first European hotel I’d stayed at I’d chalk it up to being 'European', but I’ve been in plenty that can get very cold, in fact our hotel in Sevilla was freezing and it talks a lot for me to say anywhere is freezing. Internet is included and is great - so I'm happy about that!
After a bit of unpacking we headed out for some food…pizza and wine. The world over just likes Italian…we are no different.

No comments: