Tuesday 1 August 2017

August 1 - Rome, Italy

A million degrees, occasionally breezy – the breeze feels like being inside a hair dryer, not too humid thank God



Today we said farewell to the ship…I’m happy to be getting on with the next phase of the vacation, but moving on is always a bit . 



The distance from the port to our hotel in Rome is about a 75 min drive…mostly on highway. The pickup from the port is extremely easy and smooth. We pre-booked a ride…for the same price as a taxi, a guy was waiting for us with my name on a sign, whisked us into
a Mercedes, knew where we were going, and got us there no problem! FYI…for a private ride to the airport (not into Rome) the cruise wanted to charge 500 USD to arrange it! I knew the price for the cruise to do it would be high…we’ve seen those prices before, but I have to say I was surprised at how high the price was. We hopped the
price for the cruise to do it wouldn’t be crazy high, because we had some on-board-credit to spend. It always sounds good to have this credit (and it isn’t the worst problem to have), but there is truly NOTHING we need to buy on board...everything is included. In the past we’ve used this credit for the spa, but this trip was just too busy off of the boat. In the end…Chris got a pair of swim trunks (not European style!) and I could find nothing, and I mean nothing in the ship’s boutique that was remotely interesting. In the end I spent 200.00 on 8 tubes of foot cream at the spa! This is stuff I use everyday, so I know I’ll use it. I was a bit concerned about getting it home, until the spa guy told me if I spent over 200.00 on product that I could ship it for 20.00…SOLD! I had exactly
220.00 to spend.



Anyway, when we arrived at the hotel the room wasn’t ready, so off we headed into the incredible heat. We hunted shade all the way to the Vatican. We have tickets to get into the Vatican catacombs on Thursday, so we figured it was a good idea to find out where exactly where at the Vatican we actually needed to be – these tickets are for a specific time…late…forget it.



Then we walked a bit more, had a drink, walked a bit more and settled on a spot for lunch. I had bruschetta and Chris had lasagne…both were delicious. Things aren’t cheap here…we hardly expected cheap in a big city. Food is what we’ve been seeing recently, but booze is a more.

After one quick stop at the local piggly-wiggly for water and snacks we checked into the hotel, showered and passed out for a while. I tried to get my chip-quest back on, but the Italians bamboozled me. What I thought was a flavoured chip turned out to be plain with the picture on the bag suggesting what a chip could be turned into…disappointment! In the end it was a chip-quest disappointment, but we had no problem ploughing though half the bag in one go…I’ve had some much bigger disappointments in my quest for interesting chips…so much so that after eating one, the rest were pitched…a chip has got to be pretty bad for me to pitch it!

No comments: