Friday 29 December 2023

December 29 - AT SEA

Weather – 30º, sunny with some clouds

Steps – 4,815

Bright blue ocean greeted this morning as we opened the curtains – we are back in the Atlantic. We saw the mergings of the waters yesterday as we left the Amazon, but this morning is was obvious. 

We don’t often go for breakfast. I usually have an in-room yogurt with fruit and a couple of cappuccinos, but this morning’s restaurant theme was frittatas and sangria, PLUS we gained an hour of sleep, so we went…it was tasty.

We spent the rest of the morning on our balcony. We checked out the pool on the off chance there was room – nope. Chairs were actually occupied with people rather than books and magazines. I’m totally fine with no available chairs if people are actually occupying them. It’s when people drop books, hats and magazines and then disappear for hours that annoys me. I was happy (in fact I’m happier) to be on

balcony visitor

our own balcony.

Dinner tonight was at Prime 7, the steak restaurant. We typically prefer the main dining room, but during this cruise the main dining room has been BUSY. This means it takes us a long time to get out preferred table for 2 by the window. We thought if we had a reservation in the Steak place, we could plan our night a bit more. We hardly have anything to do or place to be, but eventually we just want to eat.

The show tonight was a guest performer who we saw earlier in the cruise. Her talent was good, but I didn’t care for her material. It was soooooo old. We all have our own musical tastes – I appreciate ALL music even if it’s not to my particular taste, but…I would like some, not all, but some to be from MY LIFETIME. I’m not a teenager – I’m 53 years old! How about some music from the last HALF CENTURY!?! Last time she opened with Petula Clark’s ‘Downtown’, do you know when that was recorded? 1964!!! Things didn’t improve. Eventually she limped into the 70’s with some ABBA, so I guess music during my lifetime was represented, but for crying out loud!?! I left that show more than a little annoyed! I usually blow the old music situation off as it’s to be expected, but tonight I was annoyed (there seems to be a theme to this blog entry.)

I follow a British guy on social media who talks about how old fashioned the music cruises in general play, but he particularly noticed this when he was on

North Atlantic sunset

Regent recently. He notes that he is in his 60’s and finds the music old fashioned! When we first started cruising, we were in our 30s and chalked this old music situation up to us being much younger than the average people we cruised with… fine…majority rules. But now it is 20 years later, and NOTHING has changed. It’s not that big of a deal, I suppose, and I’ve only heard “Lady in Red” ONCE this cruise so I should be grateful, but sheese!

Unfortunately, tonight’s show was no better. TV and Movies was the show’s theme and the only ones mentioned in the last 50 years were “Donnie and Marie”, “Sonny and Cher”, and “The Carol Burnette Show”. The only song actually sung from my lifetime came from “Captain & Tennille”. Too bad, we usually really look forward to and like the shows.

One thing I was NOT annoyed with today was Suraj finding my ‘delicates’. The last time we put out laundry I seem to have written the wrong cabin number on the laundry form…UGH!!! Now my unmentionables had to be mentioned. Suraj came through and found them. Big pieces of clothing…pants, shirts etc. get an ironed-on tag with the cabin number, but small items don’t. Anyway…all is good now.

No comments: