Friday 26 July 2013

Winchester, England, UK – July 26

terrace outside our room

Hotel du Vin
 I’m pretty sure we slept for at least 10 hours last night – I don’t really know when we went to sleep…I remember sitting in bed watching a bit of TV and the next thing I knew it was the morning. We were tired by the end of the day yesterday, but I don’t think THAT tired. Jet-lag I guess or vacation. 




We take a leisurely morning reading the paper and blogging outside on our terrace. The fact that our room has a terrace and a Nespresso coffee machine makes this room priceless in my mind.



room
Our first stop after the Winchester travel info office is the Bishop on the Bridge pub that we noticed yesterday. This is a bustling place right beside the Itchen River and the town’s river-walk. Fortunately we are there early enough to get a table river-side for a couple pints and lunch. The pub culture is lovely – old and young (including children), men and women, human and animal (plenty of dogs here) chatting, drinking, eating and enjoying each other’s company. So far we have paid around 6 dollars for a pint.


We finally make it to a grocery store for sundries and back to the room for some terrace time. We are taking advantage of what looks like the tail end of England’s heat wave – rain is forecasted for tomorrow; I suspect (hope) that it isn’t a Calgary torrential, capable of flooding rain (nope I haven’t forgotten…yet), but a misty, British, romantic rain.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Your place looks great, I love that you have a terrace very nice!

Lori said...

The terrace looks amazing!